Skip to Main Content

Frequently asked questions

We have put together this FAQ page to help you get the answers to the questions you may have about ICM. If your questions remain unanswered, please reach out to our team to assist you further. If you are a new/prospective student, please contact If you are a current student or alumni, please contact

Page sections


About ICM

What is ICM?

The International College of Manitoba (ICM) is your pathway to a degree at the University of Manitoba (UM). ICM provides international students with the support and guidance they need to begin degree studies in a tailored learning environment. ICM also provides resources and advice for students as they embark on a new life in Canada.

Which programs does ICM offer?

ICM offers:

  1. University Transfer Program Stage I (UTP Stage I): This is a foundation or pre-university studies program that acts as a bridge between secondary school and university-level studies. ICM offers a wide range of UTP stage I courses designed to prepare you for your UTP Stage II program and beyond. A variety of subjects from science, arts, and business disciplines are offered at the UTP Stage I level.
  2. University Transfer Program Stage II (UTP Stage II): This is equivalent to the first-year university program at UM. When completed successfully, and if you satisfy university admission requirements and deadlines, and achieve the specified minimum GPA, you will be eligible to transfer to the second year of your degree at the University of Manitoba. Admission to some degree programs will be on a competitive basis and subject to quotas. Students in UTP Stage II will have access to a variety of first year courses that are counted towards the student’s first year of studies at UM. This means that a course taken at ICM is moderated by UM and is of equivalent value for content, objectives, assessment, and credit hours.

Where is ICM located?

ICM is located on the University of Manitoba campus in the vibrant city of Winnipeg in Manitoba, Canada. Winnipeg is situated at the heart of the North American continent and is home to a wonderful multicultural community of over 800,000 people. The city plays a prominent role in transportation, finance, manufacturing, agriculture and education. The Province of Manitoba is known for its more than 100,000 lakes, beautiful landscapes, and stunning prairie sunsets.

Do ICM students have access to UM facilities and services?

Absolutely! ICM students can use UM services and facilities, including the library, computer labs and recreation facilities.

Is the UTP Stage II course equivalent to first year university?

Yes! The courses are the same level as those for the relevant first-year undergraduate programs offered by the University of Manitoba and are moderated by the university.

What is the advantage of going to ICM rather than doing first year university?

The advantages for students are many. You can be admitted to ICM if you don’t meet either the English and/or academic requirements of the University of Manitoba. Classes are smaller than the usual university lecture size, approx. 30-35 students per class. You will have longer class hours which allows more time to understand the course content and you have regular access to instructors. Additionally, you receive extensive academic and personal support, not only for studies, but to help you adjust to living in Canada as well.

How long is the UTP Stage I program?

The foundation program, UTP Stage I, is an eight-month program with two terms. You can begin your studies in January, May or September. Upon successfully completing UTP Stage I, you can move on to the first-year university program, UTP Stage II.

How long is the UTP Stage II program?

The UTP Stage II program is the equivalent to first year of a degree program and can be completed in three terms, or one year. You can begin your studies in January, May or September. Upon successfully completing UTP Stage II and meeting the university’s transfer requirements, you will apply to transfer to the second year of a University of Manitoba program.

Where are students who attend ICM from?

Students at ICM hail from more than 80 countries, including Nigeria, Kenya, Zambia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Russia, Turkey and China.

Can I study part-time?

All ICM students must study full-time.

What if I need help with my studies while I am at ICM?

There are many avenues of help and support throughout your terms at ICM. If you are having difficulty in a course, you can contact your instructor and organize a time to meet or reach out to a Student Success Advisor. Student Success Advisors are also available to help with many areas of your studies and your life at ICM.

How do I transfer to the University of Manitoba (UM)?

Once you successfully complete the second stage of ICM’s University Transfer Program (UTP Stage II) and fulfilled UM’s transfer requirements including a minimum of 30 credit hours, you can apply to the second year of your UM program as an advanced entry student.

About the classes

How are classes taught?

Class teachings may consist of lectures, workshops, computer laboratory sessions and/or interactive activities. There is variation in this structure according to the nature of the individual instructor, the course content and specific requirements.

What time are classes scheduled at ICM?

ICM classes vary between two to four hours in length and are offered at various times during the day between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

What is the maximum number of courses I can study each term and what is the minimum?

Four courses are the maximum any student can take in one term. Three courses a term is the requirement. Students who complete the Pre-Arrival Success Strategies course with a specific score and/or students who excel in courses in their ICM studies may be eligible to take a maximum of five courses in a term.

Do I have to repeat the whole term if I fail a course?

No. Because of the flexible nature of the program, it is possible to take new courses while retaking those you have failed (in cases where the failed courses are required ones for the student’s chosen program). Alternatively, students may decide to consider different programs where they don’t have to repeat failed courses while having completed courses work towards their new program requirements. As three terms of study can be completed in one calendar year, students who fail one or more units can get back on track without loss of time.

How many intake dates are there each year?

There are three intakes per year – January, May, and September.

Applying to ICM

How do I apply?

You can apply to ICM by completing the application form on the ICM website.

How long will it take to receive an offer from ICM?

You will receive an offer from ICM one-to-two business days after you submit a complete application including the required academic documents.

How can I get a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)?

A Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) is required for most Canadian study permit applications. You can learn more about the PAL and who requires one on the Government of Canada’s website. 

Along with your Letter of Offer, you’ll receive a link to the PAL Readiness Questionnaire. Submit the questionnaire to get started on your PAL nomination. 

After your PAL Readiness Questionnaire is received, you may be nominated for a PAL and receive an invoice to pay your minimum deposit. Once your payment has been received, you will be sent your Letter of Acceptance, Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL), and payment receipt electronically.

Exemptions/recognition for other course work

Can I apply for exemptions?

Not at ICM. Once you have transferred to your second year at the University of Manitoba, you can apply for credit for prior learning, which includes formal study, but not before.

ICM entry requirements

What are the entry requirements for ICM?

Entry requirements are course-specific and country-specific. Learn more.

Fee payment

How do I pay my fees?

Payments are made in Canadian dollars to the International College of Manitoba and can be made using the Flywire payment portal. Flywire offers various payment methods, including bank transfers and online credit card payments. ICM does not accept cash payments. Learn more.

Payments should be made to the International College of Manitoba directly using ICM’s Flywire payment portal. We strongly discourage you from paying your tuition deposit to an educational agent or other third party.



Medical Insurance

Do I require health/medical coverage or insurance?

Students enroled with ICM have medical insurance provided by a third-party provider included as part of their fees.


What is Orientation and do I need to attend?

Attendance at Orientation is mandatory. This is when you will receive important ICM information, get information about your new campus, and learn about the many services available to you as an ICM student. It is also an excellent opportunity to make your first group of friends.

What happens if I am late?

Please notify ICM immediately if you cannot attend Orientation. Students who do not receive their visa in time for Orientation may need to defer their intake to the following term.

Transferring to the University of Manitoba

How do I transfer to the University of Manitoba (UM)?

Once you successfully complete the second stage of ICM’s University Transfer Program (UTP Stage II) and fulfilled UM’s transfer requirements including a minimum of 30 credit hours of advanced standing, you can apply to the second year of your UM program. Of note, some programs may include completing certain prerequisites and/or a competitive GPA. You can connect with ICM to get advice specific to your situation and program of study, as required.

Back to Top