Skip to Main Content

Study permits and visas

As a future international student, you must apply for your study permit and receive approval before beginning your journey to Canada.

Once you’ve received your Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) and  Letter of Acceptance to ICM, you should apply for your study permit as soon as possible to be sure you arrive at ICM in time to attend Orientation!

You can learn more about applying for your study permit or meet with your educational agent (if applicable).

Important! If you are under the age of 18, you are considered a minor (or underage) in Manitoba and typically require a custodian/guardian. Homestay is recommended for students who require custodianship.

Do not delay in submitting your study permit application, as processing can take weeks or even several months. Check the average processing time for your country.

New! Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)

On January 22, 2024, the Government of Canada announced that students applying for a study permit must submit a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) from the province or territory where they plan to study. For ICM students, this is the Province of Manitoba.

Along with your Letter of Offer, you’ll receive a link to the PAL Readiness Questionnaire. Submit the questionnaire to get started on your PAL nomination.

After your PAL Readiness Questionnaire is received, you may be nominated for a PAL and receive an invoice to pay your minimum deposit. Once your payment has been received, you will be sent your Letter of Acceptance, PAL, and payment receipt electronically.

For more information about the PAL and the study permit application process, please visit Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) website.

Visit the IRCC website
Back to Top