Skip to Main Content

Off campus

ICM students can choose to living arrangements off campus. Whether you have family in the city or are interested in experiencing something a little different, here are some resources to help you find the ideal off-campus accommodation for you.


Choosing to live in a homestay means you will live with a Canadian family, off-campus, in the community. This allows you to be a part of a family, join in family activities and celebrate special occasions with them.

All homestay families live within commuting distance to ICM, making it easy for you to get to and from campus. Homestays include three meals per day, a bedroom, and internet access. This is a great option if you are under 18 years old when arriving in Winnipeg and require a custodian, or if you just want to gain the full experience of life in Canada.

You have your choice of two different homestay providers which ICM works with. Please contact your homestay provider of choice directly for more information.

Private rentals

A wide range of off-campus accommodations are available in Winnipeg, including private rentals and shared accommodations. This includes the ARC located near campus, which offers fully furnished private rentals for students and recent graduates.

While we often recommend that new arrivals consider on-campus student residences or homestay, students who are considering off-campus private rentals can visit the University of Manitoba’s Off-Campus Housing website for information about renting in Winnipeg. The University of Manitoba’s International Centre also has important information about renters’ rights and responsibilities.

If you’re considering a private rental, it’s vital to visit the rental in person, meet the building manager, and verify that the rental is legitimate and as advertised before signing any contracts or paying any money. You should also fully read and understand the rental contract before you sign it.

Back to Top