Your contract with ICM
Upon accepting the enrolment offer from ICM, the student has initiated a contract with ICM and is bound by the following declaration:
- "I hereby accept and promise to observe the statutes, rules and regulations and ordinances (including, if any, bylaws, codes and policies) of ICM, and of the program in which I am registered, and to any amendments thereto which may be made while I am a student of ICM."
- The student is expected to regularly attend all their classes (including lectures, tutorials, seminars etc.) and to carry out all assigned evaluations (assignments, projects, examinations etc.). ICM is not responsible for the consequences that flow from the student neglecting their academic work and assignments. Students who are unavoidably absent because of illness or disability should report to their instructors and ICM as soon as possible. Any request for an academic concession must be clearly expressed.
- ICM may, by written notice, vary the conditions of enrolment as may be necessary to comply with any law, regulation or amendment thereof, of Canada or the Province of Manitoba. Any such variance will bind ICM and the student upon reasonable notice being given by ICM to the ICM student population at large--specific notice to the student is not required.
- ICM reserves the right to withdraw a program(s) or course(s) from offer, at its discretion, at any time and without prior notice. Upon being notified of the withdrawal of a program in which a student is enrolled, the student will be given the option of completing the program on a full-time enrolment basis, being transferred to another program within ICM for which the student is eligible or obtaining a refund in accordance with the Fee Refund Policy set out below (note: a cancellation fee may be applied). Upon being notified of the withdrawal of a course in which the student is enrolled, the student will be given the option of transferring into another course in the student's program or obtaining a refund of tuition, fees and charges paid in respect of that course in accordance with the Fee Refund Policy set out below (note: a cancellation fee may be applied).
- The contract between the student and ICM is governed by the laws of Canada and the Province of Manitoba.
Tuition, fees and charges
- Applicable tuition, fees and charges are as set out in the Tuition Fees section of the ICM website (icmanitoba.ca). ICM reserves the right to vary its tuition, fees and charges at any time and such changes are effective immediately, unless otherwise expressly indicated. For greater certainty, if the tuition, fees and charges for a student's program increase partway through the student's program, the revised tuition, fees and charges apply throughout the remainder of the student's program.
- All tuition, fees and charges for each academic term are due and payable in advance of the term start date, which is listed on the ICM website (icmanitoba.ca). Students will not be permitted to commence or continue their program at the beginning of any term until all outstanding tuition, fees, charges and accounts, including any outstanding amounts from prior semesters, are paid.
- Tuition, fees and charges for each program include the courses described in this brochure.
- Where a student enrols in more courses than are required to complete their program, the student will pay the tuition, fees and charges for their program, plus the current per-course fee for each additional course undertaken.
- Where a student enrols in fewer courses than are considered a full course load (defined as four courses per term), the tuition, fees and charges for the program payable in that term will be reduced accordingly, it being understood that the total tuition, fees and charges for the program are not reduced, but will be paid over the time it takes for the student to complete the program.
- If a student wishes or is required to repeat a course, the student shall pay the tuition, fees and charges applicable for that course, prior to commencing the course, in addition to any other tuition, fees and charges applicable to the student's program.
- Any overpayment of tuition, fees or charges will remain credited towards a student's account and applied against tuition, fees and charges in the following academic term(s).
- Subject to rules set out in the Fee Refund Policy, refunds are only given once the policy is applied and if there is a credit in the tuition account.
- International students may be required by Canadian law to obtain a study permit in order to study in Canada. It is each student's responsibility to obtain and maintain all required authorizations to study in Canada. For specific information on student permits, go to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp).
- All international students studying in Manitoba will be covered under the Manitoba Provincial Health Plan. Coverage begins from point of entry in Canada en route to Manitoba and on presentation of a valid Study Permit and Letter of Acceptance from ICM. Students are required to collect their Health Care Cards from Manitoba Health as soon as practicable after they arrive in Winnipeg.
Academic and English language requirements
Students must meet the minimum academic and English language requirements for entry to their chosen program (see the entrance requirements of icmanitoba.ca for the current requirements). Students must provide original or certified transcripts and the results of their English language assessments to ICM, together with their application for enrolment. If the results reveal insufficient academic and/or English language skills, as determined in reference to the entrance requirements section of the ICM website, ICM will,at its sole option, do one of the following:
- a. Admit the student into their chosen program, but require that the student enrol and achieve a certain grade in one or more academic or English language course in the first academic term of their program. The student shall pay tuition, fees and charges for each additional course(s). If the student fails to achieve the required grade in the additional course(s), ICM may, in its sole discretion, refuse the student access to the remaining courses in the program until such time as the student can demonstrate that they meet the minimum requirements for their chosen program.
- b. Deny the student admission to their chosen program, and give the student the option to enrol in an intensive English language program or other programs at ICM. The student may wish to apply to another institution in order to pursue additional studies. In either case, upon completing these program(s) and demonstrating to ICM that the student now meets the minimum requirements for entry to their chosen program, the student may again apply for admission to their chosen program.
Deferral prior to commencing studies
- Deferral requests must be made in writing.
- Once a student is accepted into their chosen program, the student may defer their program start date by a maximum of two terms.
- If the student advises ICM that they wish to defer their program start date a third time, the student's acceptance to ICM will be terminated and the student will need to re-apply to ICM when they are ready to commence studies at ICM. For greater certainty, the eligibility requirements and tuition, fee and charge rates in effect at the time of the re-application will apply to the student.
- If a student defers their program start date, ICM will hold the tuition, fees and charges paid until the student commences their program, without interest or penalty.
- If the student withdraws without commencing their program or has their enrolment terminated in the manner described in paragraph 3 of this section, the Fee Refund Policy will apply.
Deferral after commencing studies
- Students in the first academic term of their program may not defer their program after the commencement of the term.
- Once a continuing student has completed at least one term at ICM, they may defer their program if they make a deferral request within the first four weeks of the term. In this case, ICM will hold the tuition, fees and charges paid by the student, without interest or penalty, and apply all such amounts to the next term.
- If the student subsequently withdraws from ICM, the Fee Refund Policy will apply.
- If the student applies to defer their program after the fourth week of the term, the deferral request will be granted but all tuition, fees and charges for that term will be forfeited to ICM, except if the deferral request arises due to illness or compassionate reasons.
- For details of the academic consequences of withdrawing from a program after commencing studies, click the link
Cancellation and withdrawal
- The student may, at any time, cancel their enrolment at ICM. In all cases, the Fee Refund Policy will apply.
- The student may, at any time, withdraw from a program. In all cases, the Fee Refund Policy will apply.
- In all cases, if the student intends to cancel their enrolment or withdraw from a program, the student must notify ICM in writing.
- For details of the academic consequences of withdrawing from a program after commencing studies, click the link
Fee Refund Policy
- For the purposes of this Fee Refund Policy, tuition, fees and charges are defined in terms of one full-time term of study (four courses) in any program at ICM.
- Students may dispute ICM’s decision regarding a refund by submitting a written request for reconsideration, together with details supporting their request, to the ICM College Director. This process does not restrict the student’s right to pursue other legal remedies.
- In cases of the cancellation of enrolment or withdrawal from a program or course, the cancellation fee, administration charge, if relevant, and the refund of tuition, fees and charges, is calculated as shown in the table below.
- In cases of deferrals, the tuition, fees and charges paid by the student will be retained by ICM, without interest or penalty, until the student recommences their studies or withdraws from ICM.
- If the student withdraws from ICM after having deferred, the Fee Refund Policy will apply as at the date ICM was advised of the student’s deferral. The Fee Refund Policy will be applied as if the student started in the semester they deferred from and applied as at the date of that semester.
- Where a study permit:
a. is refused to the student after enrolment; or
b. is not, for any reason, extended by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
ICM will retain the cancellation fee set out in the table below for 'study permit refusal' and refund the balance of the tuition, fees and charges paid by the student.
- A student whose enrolment is terminated by ICM due to a breach of the terms and conditions of the contract between the student and ICM, including, without limitation, the rules, regulations and policies of ICM, will not be entitled to any refund of any tuition, fees and charges.
- As set out elsewhere in these conditions of enrolment, ICM reserves the right to withdraw a program or course(s) from offer. If, as a result, a student is unable to enrol in a similar program or course(s) at ICM and the student wishes to cancel their enrolment, all tuition, fees and charges will be refunded, with the exception of a C$500 administration fee.
- The cancellation fee in the table below will be applied based on the date of the completed withdrawal forms are submitted with all supporting documents attached. Withdrawal requests must be accompanied by such information as is reasonably required by the ICM. In the case of a cancellation unrelated to a visa rejection this includes but is not limited to, a Letter of Acceptance to another institution, or a confirmed return airline ticket back to the home country.
- All refunds applied for under this Fee Refund Policy will be paid within four weeks of receiving a written claim from the student in a form and containing such information as is reasonably required by the ICM College Director.
|Study permit refusal (proof of refusal necessary; for example, letter of rejection from Canadian Embassy):
|Notification of withdrawal from the program accompanied by required documentation received prior to commencement of classes*
|More than 10 weeks prior to commencement of classes*
||20% of term fees** (+ a C$500 administration fee)
|10 weeks or less, prior to commencement of classes*
||50% of term fees** (+ a C$500 administration fee)
On or after commencement of classes* for
- Students in their first term of study:
- Returning students:
50% of program fees*** (+a C$500 administration fee)
100% of term fees** (+a C$500 administration fee)
|Withdrawal from a single course
||No penalty, funds remain with ICM and are credited against enrolment in a subsequent term. Fees are forfeited if the student does not re-enrol in a subsequent term.
*Commencement of classes will be the day of orientation
** Term fees = 4 courses
*** Program Fees can be found at www.icmanitoba.ca/fees
Please note: The cancellation fees listed above refer only to ICM tuition, fees and charges. For cancellation fees relating to airport reception or homestay placement, please contact the relevant third party.