What to bring
Speak to one of the Marketing Team directly
Mark | Fadi | Lindsay
T:(+1) 204 474 8479
The transition to a new country can at times be overwhelming. Check out this list of important items you should bring with you on your journey to Canada!
Items for clearing immigration upon entering Canada
Pack these items in your carry-on luggage, such as your backpack:
- Letter of Introduction confirming your study permit approval from the Canadian government
- ICM Files: Letter of Offer, Letter of Acceptance, ICM fee receipt
- Visa Files: Proof of funds, temporary resident visa (if required)
- Original academic certificates & transcripts
Other suggested items
- Credit card & approximately $200 CDN in cash on-hand
- International prepaid phone card
- Medical records and immunization records
- Contact numbers & addresses (both local and abroad)
- Adaptors (electrical systems in Canada are 110 volts)
- Pictures of family and friends
- Clothing/ Toiletries
For specific information about weather and the type of clothing to pack for your intake, please download your Pre-Arrival Guide at icmanitoba.ca/pre-arrival-and-registration-resources.
If you’d like to buy bed sheets and linens once you’ve arrived in Canada, we recommend you contact the person with whom you’ve booked your accommodations to ensure they will have temporary linens for when you first arrive.
Some students may rent private suites or a room in a shared suite or house. Note that the majority of private rentals are unfurnished. When looking for accommodation, check what is included before you sign the rental agreement forms. If you need to purchase items when you arrive, check with ICM staff or other students on where to get the best prices.
Electrical systems in Canada operate at 110 volts and 60 Hz. Most appliances have a North American three-pin plug, although some have a two-pin plug. You can purchase an adaptor/converter for your existing electrical appliances if necessary, or wait to purchase appliances in Winnipeg.